I don’t know about you guys, but this project has been a difficult one. I’m still trying to get the layout of my typography assignment functioning appropriately- so rather than posting a link to a finished project, I figured I’d give you a sense of how I’ve spent my time on this.
First I turned to my source material for information. As you can tell by the VERY high quality photos below, the majority of this material was collected during a research visit to church archives in Baltimore. I hoped to use these images as both typographical and compositional inspiration.
Here I collected fonts from a number of church materials- letterheads, program books, and church registers- as well as items from the Deaf press that would be representative of this period.
I also looked at the layout and composition of these documents, collecting eight that were visually interesting.
I also began collecting some details that appeared across the texts – I’m hoping to be able to integrate these details in the final project.
Armed with some visual inspiration, I also set about developing a mock-up of the final design.
You can see a rough version of it above and a link to my page here. The challenge for the past two days has been translating all the ideas into Dreamweaver. I hope you are all having great luck with this!
This week I commented on Sara’s Blog.